As my husband and I were brainstorming the perfect gift for his 80 year young grandmother, it dawned on me that this could be a helpful blog for the many others who struggle at coming up with unique gift ideas for their loved ones on such a significant birthday!
Many who are turning 80 have already been given everything they need/want. So how to make this birthday special?
Here is a list of gifts that differ from the common gifts such as flowers, picture frames and other trinkets (I hope you find this as useful as I did!):
- New York Times “front page puzzles” (with date person was born) – http://www.nytimes.com
- Personalized photo items such as a pillow, blanket, or placemats
- Homemade Scrapbook/Memory Box: include articles, pictures from their childhood years, recipes, and personal stories of your time of them
- Coupons! examples: a coffee date, a dinner out, a movie night, to play bingo together on a Saturday night
- Gift Baskets: of favourite food/snacks, entertainment (games, books, puzzles), a cozy night in (blanket, socks, movies, tea)
- Greeting Card Folder: decorate a folder with pockets and fill with nice greeting cards (birthday, anniversary, get well, sympathy) and include some postage stamps
- Gift Cards for a service such as window cleaning, snow removal, or food delivery
- Ipad (with free Ipad lesson) to videochat with their children, grandchildren, friends etc.
- Subscription to favourite magazine or newspaper
- Personalized Christmas ornaments of family pictures